Johnson & Goldrich, PC
Driver’s License Reinstatement

Learn more


Q: Is my license suspended or revoked?

A: That depends.  The answer might be “both.” If you were arrested for a DUI and the Motion to Rescind the Statutory Suspension was not granted, your license is suspended.  If you were convicted of the DUI, your license is or will be revoked.  So, if the Motion to Rescind the Statutory Summary Suspension was denied and you are convicted of the DUI, you are both revoked and suspended.

Q: If my license is suspended, what do I need to do?

A: At the end of the statutory suspension period, you will need to pay the reinstatement fee and make sure that any other suspensions or revocations on your driving record are closed.

Q: During the statutory suspension period, am I eligible for driving relief?

A: Yes.  You can obtain a Restricted Driving Permit through an Informal Hearing with the Secretary of State.

Q: If my license is revoked, what do I need to do?

A: You can petition the Secretary of State, through either an Informal or Formal Hearing, for a Restricted Driving Permit or Full Reinstatement of your driver’s license, depending on the circumstances.  We would help you make that determination and pursue the best approach.

Q: What does it take to get full reinstatement of my driver’s license if I am revoked for a DUI conviction?

A: You have to prove to the Secretary of State that you are no longer a threat to public safety.  This is where having experienced and knowledgeable attorneys are important.  We will work with you in completing an Alcohol/Drug Evaluation, complying with any recommendations of the Evaluation, and presenting your case to the Secretary of State at an Informal or Formal Hearing.

Q: How do I know if I need a Formal or Informal Hearing?

A: Informal hearings are typically designed for individuals who have had a single loss of driving privileges.  Formal Hearings are for individuals who have had multiple losses of driving privileges or have been convicted of serious driving-related offenses.  We will help you determine which type of hearing is right for you and prepare you to be successful in that hearing.

Q: What is an Alcohol/Drug Evaluation and where do I go for treatment?

A: An Alcohol/Drug Evaluation is a tool that is used by a licensed evaluator that is used to determine a “risk level” for the Secretary of State to use in determining what type of treatment you should have.  We have a complete list of every evaluator and treatment provider in Illinois.  We will help you determine what treatment is required and whether sufficient treatment has already been completed.  If treatment has already been completed, we will work with your evaluator to make sure that the proper Treatment Waiver is prepared, thus saving you money.

Q: I have heard that no one ever wins at the first hearing!  Is this true?

A: This is absolutely FALSE!  We have been doing this for more than 25 years and have one of, if not the, highest first-time win records in Illinois.  As former Legal Advisors for the Secretary of State, we know exactly what needs to be done to get you back on the road as quickly as possible.  We will quote you a flat fee and stick to it.  Many other lawyers charge per hearing, which means that when you lose, they win.  That is not the way we do business.  For a single flat fee, we guarantee that we will stay with you until you get your license reinstated or obtain the highest level of driving privileges available to you.

Stop worrying and give us a call or text us at 312.795.1801 or submit the form below.