Johnson & Goldrich, PC
Driver’s License Reinstatement

Learn more

How to Reinstate A Revoked License In A Different State

Non-Resident / Out-of-State Petitioner Hearing Applications

If your license has been revoked by the Illinois Secretary of State and you are not a resident of Illinois, you can still apply for driving relief. There are two ways to do this. You can either use an Out of State Hearing Application or appear in person at a Formal or Informal Hearing.

All of the forms that will be required for your Out of State Hearing Application can be found online. Unfortunately, these forms are quite confusing and any mistake can lead to a denial of your application.

The Application Process

Anyone who is out of state and intends to stay out of state can apply for driving relief through an Illinois Out of State Hearing Application. However, in our opinion, that is not always the best way to apply for driving relief. Out of State Hearing Applications lack “personality”. Petitioners should be given the chance to show the Secretary of State how much they have changed since getting in trouble and there is no better way to do that than to have an actual “in-person” hearing.

However, if you don’t want to do an “in-person” hearing and are not an Illinois resident, then you are eligible to use the Out of State Hearing Application. You can obtain the Out of State Hearing Application to petition for your driving privileges here.

While the form appears to be rather straightforward, it can be very confusing. In our experience as driver’s license revocation attorneys, we have found that petitioners who use this form, without the help of a seasoned professional, will most likely be denied. This is where our legal experience can help you reobtain your state license or driving privileges.

After ensuring that your out-of-state hearing application is complete and accurate, drivers should send off their application to the Illinois Secretary of State facility. This should include all required documentation, such as the application form, supporting documents, and any fees or fines.

The out of state driver will then need to follow these steps:

  • Await confirmation: After submitting the application, wait for confirmation from the Illinois Secretary of State’s office. They will review the application and provide further instructions or notifications regarding the hearing process.
  • Await the decision: It’s possible for an individual to wait up to 90 days for the hearing officer or administrative body responsible for determining the outcome of your application. This decision will typically be communicated to you in writing. If you are rejected, you will have a limited amount of time to appeal your Illinois revocation and attempt to remove the hold on your home state’s driver’s license.
  • Comply with requirements: If your application is approved, you will need to comply with any requirements or conditions set forth in the decision. This may include completing any necessary paperwork, paying fines or fees, or fulfilling other obligations before your driving privileges can be reinstated.
  • Obtain reinstatement: Once you have fulfilled all the necessary requirements and conditions, you can proceed with the reinstatement process. This may involve contacting your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or equivalent agency in your current state of residence to initiate the process of restoring your driving privileges.

Remember that you cannot have any type of hearing, including an Out of State Hearing, if you have a ticket pending in any court in the United States.

Illinois & Out Of State License Revocation

The Illinois Reinstatement Form For Out Of State Drivers can be confusing and lead to mistakes that put a stain on your driving record. If you’re facing out-of-state license revocation due to a DUI conviction, then please call us today. Let our team help you navigate this process.

Stop worrying and give us a call or text us at 312.795.1801 or submit the form below.